Tuesday, 12 June 2007

Krash Japan

Yesterday I was excited to receive the latest copy of Krash Japan in the post (thank you to the editor for sending it to me as I couldn't find the latest edition in London). It's a free bi-lingual magazine with beautiful images and genuinely interesting articles.


The magazine is published in Kurashiki, a city in Okinawa. Through reading the magazine, I have learned a lot about individuals who live and work in Kurashiki, such as this craftsman, Masahiro Kawabe. He makes beautiful rings out of steel nuts, simply by the hard work of filing and polishing. He works completely by hand, with no machines. The interesting thing about his work is that each ring has a theme. A customer will give him a word or an idea, such as 'peace', 'failure', 'ocean'. "When working on a given theme he does not begin for at least a month. He goes on with his regular daily activity. However, the theme is constantly in his mind, waiting for the moment when an obscure image suddenly appears. The image can be visual, a tone, or in other forms. Once an image comes to mind, it is put into concrete form. Everything is done inside his head, up til the final design." - I find this way of working very interesting as a creative process!

(photo from Krash Japan Spring & Summer 2007)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is an interesting way of working - i like it - i suddenly want to be a silversmith again and make rings like his! I'm glad that you got the magazine... it arrived quite quickly, i'm impressed... is it as good as the first edition? hope so. x x

Anonymous said...

Hannah, oh Hannah, oh where for art thou Hannah?