Tuesday, 29 May 2007

the beauty of Japanese magazines



I bought a Japanese fashion magazine, called Fudge, for my sister as she has not been very well. I hope it cheers her up as much as it does me every time I look at Japanese magazines... there's something inspiring about those beautiful images, even if I can't understand most of the Japanese writing!



I was interested to discover that one of my other favourite magazines, SO-EN, was actually Japan's first ever fashion magazine, published since 1936 by the prestigious Bunka Fashion College in Shinjuku fashion district of Tokyo. It is even now the most cutting edge magazine that I can find in terms of its graphic design, photography and image layout. I could spend hours "reading" it (ie looking at the pictures!) If only the UK would take some aesthetic inspiration from its Japanese counterparts, perhaps we could revive our own flagging magazine industry.

No comments: